Military spokesman: Israeli troops are fighting “deep” in the city of Gaza
9:21 p.m.: Israel’s ground troops have advanced “deep” into the city of Gaza, according to a military spokesman. They are “currently in the depths” of the city and are putting “great pressure” on Hamas, which rules there, said spokesman Daniel Hagari on Tuesday evening.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had previously said in a televised speech: “Hamas is finding that we can get to places it thought we would never reach.” Hamas is classified as a terrorist organization by the EU and the USA.
Netanyahu again linked a ceasefire to the demand for the release of all hostages: “There will be no ceasefire without the return of our abductees.”
According to Hagari, a total of more than 14,000 targets in Israel’s densely populated coastal strip have been attacked since the start of the war. There are successes, “but the war is still long,” said Hagari.
Red Cross: Aid convoy shot at in Gaza city
8:36 p.m.: According to the organization, a Red Cross convoy carrying medical supplies came under fire in the city of Gaza. As the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) announced, two of the five trucks were damaged and a driver was slightly injured on Tuesday. The transport was, among other things, on the way to the Al-Quds Hospital of the Palestinian Red Crescent.
“Humanitarian workers cannot work under these circumstances,” said ICRC representative William Schomburg. He pointed out that parties to the conflict are obliged under international law to ensure the supply of essential goods to health facilities.
USA speaks out against “re-occupation” of the Gaza Strip by Israel
8:03 p.m.: The US has spoken out against Israel’s renewed long-term occupation of the Gaza Strip. “In general, we do not support the reoccupation of the Gaza Strip and neither does Israel,” a US State Department spokesman, Vedant Patel, told reporters on Tuesday. “We believe that Palestinians must be at the forefront of these decisions and that the Gaza Strip is and will remain Palestinian land,” Patel said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had previously declared that he wanted to assume “overall responsibility for the security” of the Palestinian territory for an “indefinite period” after the war.
The U.S. agreed that there could be “no return to the status quo” in the Gaza Strip following Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel, Patel said. “Israel and the region must be safe, and the Gaza Strip should and can no longer be a base for terrorist attacks against the Israeli people or anyone else,” the spokesman reiterated.
Defense Minister: Israeli troops “in the heart of the city of Gaza”
7:09 p.m.: Israeli soldiers have moved into the center of Gaza, according to Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant. “We are in the heart of the city of Gaza,” Gallant said on Tuesday, a month after the start of the war between Israel and the radical Islamic Palestinian organization Hamas in the Gaza Strip. The city is “the largest terrorist base ever built in the world.” There will be “no humanitarian ceasefire without the return of the hostages,” emphasized the minister.
Hundreds of Hamas fighters crossed into Israel from the Gaza Strip on October 7 and committed atrocities against civilians, including many women and children, in attacks on several towns and a music festival. According to Israeli reports, around 1,400 people were killed in the worst attack in the country’s history. In addition, Hamas fighters kidnapped more than 240 people as hostages in the Gaza Strip, including numerous foreigners.
ICRC: Aid in Gaza so far is “just a drop in the ocean”
6:05 p.m.: The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has called for more help for the people of the Gaza Strip. The deliveries that have arrived so far in the sealed-off coastal area are just “a drop in the ocean,” said Imene Trabelsi, regional spokeswoman for the ICRC in the Near and Middle East, to the German Press Agency on Tuesday. The humanitarian situation for the population in the Gaza Strip is deteriorating day by day.
The situation is particularly bad for the hundreds of thousands of families who have fled because the emergency shelters are overcrowded. “Many are forced to sleep on the streets in open spaces,” said Trabelsi. They were missing things like blankets and baby food.
“Thousands are seeking refuge in hospitals, further increasing the pressure on the health sector,” said the ICRC spokeswoman. Another problem is that there is still a lack of fuel to operate generators to provide electricity. “If there is no electricity, the health sector does not work either, and that is the nightmare,” said Trabelsi. According to the UN, 70 percent of the population in the Gaza Strip has been displaced since the outbreak of the war.
Baerbock: More than 50 Germans have currently left the Gaza Strip
11:23 a.m.: According to Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock, more than 30 more Germans have left the Gaza Strip. In total, more than 50 German nationals have now left the area, said the Green politician on Tuesday after the foreign ministers of the G7 countries of economically strong democracies arrived in the Japanese capital Tokyo for consultations. It was said that family members were among the more than 30 who have now left the country. According to information from the Foreign Office, the Germans left on Monday evening.
After her arrival, Baerbock wanted to talk to the G7 partners at a working dinner about the situation in the Middle East and the humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip. In addition to Germany, the G7 countries of economically strong democracies also include France, Italy, Japan, Canada, the USA and Great Britain.
Baerbock once again campaigned intensively for humanitarian ceasefires to supply civilians in the Gaza Strip. She has had many discussions about this in the past few days and spoken to a wide range of partners about “how we can finally initiate humanitarian ceasefires, both temporally and geographically”. The people of Gaza needed water, bread and, above all, medical care. “And the most seriously injured must finally be treated. In this situation, the departure of the Germans is “a small glimmer of hope”.
Archaeologists help identify victims after Hamas terrorist attack
10:21 a.m.: In Israel, archaeologists are helping to identify the burned victims of the Hamas terror attack. Scientists have already discovered the remains of at least 10 people killed in the massacre who were previously considered missing, the Israel Antiquities Authority said on Tuesday. To do this, the researchers combed through the ashes of burned houses and examined the contents of charred cars. According to information, they have been working with the army in the affected areas near the Gaza Strip for two weeks.
The researchers had practices and knowledge to detect traces of human remains at burned and destroyed ancient sites, the antiquities authority statement added. “It is one thing to uncover 2,000-year-old legacies of destruction, and quite another – heartbreaking and unimaginable – to carry out the current task.”
Images shown by the Israeli government of the atrocities showed burned people, including children. A survivor of the carnage at the Supernova festival that left 260 dead also reported how terrorists set cars on fire and then burned people inside alive.
Father thought her death was “a blessing” – but 8-year-old Emily is still alive
7:10 a.m.: Eight-year-old Emily, who was believed to have been killed by Hamas terrorists in the October 7 massacre, is apparently still alive after all. She is said to be being held hostage by Hamas along with a friend and her mother. This is reported by several media outlets.
Emily’s story went around the world because her father, Thomas H., tearfully said in an interview that it was “a blessing” that Emily was dead and not kidnapped. “When we found out Emily was dead, we said ‘yes’ and smiled because that was the best news of all the possibilities I know,” Thomas H. told CNN. His calculation: death is the lesser evil as the hostage and torture of Hamas terrorists.
But now the turning point. Emily’s half-sister Natalie told Channel 12 that they were told on October 31 that Emily was most likely still alive. Natalie’s boyfriend also told the Irish Times, citing Israeli intelligence.
Thomas H. said in an interview at the time that death was better than being kidnapped, without food or water, in a narrow, dark room. “And she would be afraid every minute, every hour, every day and possibly for years to come.” The boyfriend of Emily’s half-sister says: “The nightmare is alive. Thomas is holding on, we are all holding on.”
Emily’s mother Narkis was killed by Hamas.
Israel wants to take responsibility for security in the Gaza Strip after the war
4 a.m.: After the war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip, Israel wants to assume full responsibility for security in the Palestinian territory, according to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. “Israel will assume full responsibility for security (…) for an indefinite period of time,” Netanyahu said in an interview with US television channel ABC News broadcast on Monday. Otherwise there would be an “outbreak of Hamas terror” on an unimaginable scale, Netanyahu said. “We have seen what happens when we don’t have it (the responsibility),” he emphasized.
The Prime Minister also once again ruled out a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip if the hostages kidnapped by the radical Islamic Hamas are not freed. “There will be no general ceasefire in Gaza without the release of our hostages,” he told ABC News.
Netanyahu rules out a general ceasefire in the Gaza Strip for the time being
Tuesday, November 7th, 2:21 a.m.: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ruled out a longer ceasefire in the Gaza Strip for the time being. “Without the release of the hostages, there will be no general ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,” Netanyahu told the US television station ABC on Monday (local time). “As far as tactical breaks – an hour here, an hour there – we can look at the circumstances to bring in humanitarian supplies and bring out individual hostages. But I don’t think there will be a general ceasefire.” Israel’s head of government had previously spoken to US President Joe Biden about temporary ceasefires in the Gaza war.