Israel’s military wants to evacuate all civilians on the border with the Gaza Strip within 24 hours
1:00 p.m.: The Israeli military says it is currently evacuating civilians from cities on the border with the Gaza Strip. The localities include Nahal Oz, Erez, Nir Am, Mefalsim, Kfar Aza, Gevim, Or Haner, Ibim, Netiv Ha’asara, Yad Mordechai, Karmia, Zikim and Kerem Shalom. “Further evacuations will be carried out depending on the assessment of the situation,” the Defense Forces (IDF) said.
Military spokesman Daniel Hagari told reporters, according to the Times of Israel: “Our task for the next 24 hours is to evacuate all residents in the area around the Gaza Strip.” However, the evacuation could only be carried out after a “review of the area.” “There are tens of thousands of soldiers in the area. We will reach every single community until we kill every terrorist in Israel.”
Senior Hamas member killed in Israel’s bombardment in Gaza
11.35 a.m.: Israel has killed a senior Hamas member in its strikes in the Gaza Strip in response to Saturday’s major attack. Civil Defense confirmed that the body of Aiman Junis was recovered from the rubble of a building in Nuseirat refugee camp on Sunday.
According to the Ministry of Health, 313 people have been killed in Gaza so far. 1990 Palestinians were injured.
Netanyahu holds security meeting – Palestine convenes Arab League
11.20 a.m.: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is currently holding a security assessment at the Defense Forces (IDF) headquarters in Tel Aviv. This shared his office. According to Sky News, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi and other high-ranking security officials will be present.
The Palestinian side, however, calls an emergency meeting of the Arab League. The 22-member group includes countries such as Egypt, Iraq and Saudi Arabia. The meeting’s request was in response to the “brutal and persistent Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people,” Muhannad Al Aklouk, ambassador to the Arab League, was quoted as saying by the Palestinian news agency WAFA.
Rocket attacks on Israel continue – people injured in Sderot
11 a.m.: The day after the deadly major attack on Israel by Hamas, which rules in the Gaza Strip, militant Palestinians continued their rocket attacks on Israeli border towns. The Israeli army said on Sunday that warning sirens had been sounding repeatedly in towns near the Palestinian territory since the morning hours. According to media reports, one person was seriously injured when a rocket hit the border town of Sderot.
Because of the war with Hamas, which is classified as a terrorist organization by the EU, the USA and Israel, the Israeli army wants to evacuate the border towns and move the population to safer parts of the country.
Josef Schuster: “Hamas’ war on terror can hardly be surpassed in terms of cruelty”
10.25 a.m.: After the major attack on Israel by the Islamist Hamas, the President of the Central Council of Jews, Josef Schuster, pointed out the threat to Jewish life elsewhere. “The terror war waged by Hamas and the Lebanese Hezbollah against Israel can hardly be surpassed in terms of cruelty,” Schuster said in a statement on Sunday. “The threat to Jewish institutions here in Germany shows that the terrorists are not just concerned with Israel, but that Jewish life is being questioned by them everywhere.”
Schuster described it as an important sign at this “critical time” for Israel and all Jews that the security authorities had reacted quickly to protect Jewish institutions in this country. After the major attack by the Islamist Hamas on Israel on Saturday, Federal Interior Minister Nancy Faeser (SPD) had security strengthened. Schuster made it clear that the great solidarity in Germany is also important. “The support from all parts of our society will help get through this time,” he said.